what did jesus say about sodom and gomorrah

دسته بندی :

As I live, declares the Lord God, your sister Sodom and her daughters have not done as you and your daughters have done. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Hear the word of the Lord, you rulers of Sodom! The remnant of my people shall plunder them, and the survivors of my nation shall possess them.. Their story echoes the flood narrative in Genesis in its theme of Gods wrath caused by mans transgression. As when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah and their neighboring cities, declares the Lord, so no man shall dwell there, and no son of man shall sojourn in her. As they were making their hearts merry, behold, the men of the city, worthless fellows, surrounded the house, beating on the door. For they have brought evil on themselves. Matthew 10:15 says, Assuredly, I say to you, it will be more bearable on that day for Sodom than for that city. This verse is a reference to the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah. WebWhat Jesus Did! Also know, what God said about Sodom and Gomorrah? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. Notice the wording of this passage in Genesis 19:49,3 they wanted Lot to offer them the men (angels in the form of men) as sexual playthings. Did Jesus say anything about Sodom and Gomorrah? J Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Behold, I have two daughters who have not known any man. Thank you and Praise God for Bring them out to us, that we may know them. Then the Lord said, Because the outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is great and their sin is very grave. Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near. Then the men set out from there, and they looked down toward Sodom. Even though we deserve nothing but hellfire forever and ever, He gives us grace instead so that we may live with Him again after death (2 Corinthians 5:8). If by turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to ashes he condemned them to extinction, making them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly; and if he rescued righteous Lot, greatly distressed by the sensual conduct of the wicked. WebThe Genesis 19 account of Sodom and Gomorrah is a story of attempted gang rape of two "outsiders." There is a heavy downpour of stones that destroys the cities. The people of Nineveh were also wicked (Jonah 1:2) and violent (Jonah 3:8) and yet they were spared because they repented of their evil ways and called on God for forgiveness (Jonah 3:10). Words like haughty, bitter, venom, wanton, idleness, (when they could have been helping others) leap out of the verses as a description of a self-absorbed, hedonistic people who cared nothing for others. They were haughty and did an abomination before me. K Woe to them! Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy. We also know that their wickedness was so great that no human could even begin to understand how evil it was (Genesis 19:12). And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as And they called to Lot, Where are the men who came to you tonight? And he made them a feast and baked unleavened bread, and they ate. Truly I tell you, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on Judgment Day than for that town. (NIV). And such were some of you. And the angels who did not stay within their own position of authority, but left their proper dwelling, he has kept in eternal chains under gloomy darkness until the judgment of the great day just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire. But I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first. You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination. Here is a biblical narrative of Sodom and Gomorrah, as well as what Jesus said about it. Jesus said that end-time events would mimic those in the days before Sodom and Gomorrahs destruction. Then you may rise up early and go on your way. They said, No; we will spend the night in the town square. But he pressed them strongly; so they turned aside to him and entered his house. And the Lord appeared to him by the oaks of Mamre, as he sat at the door of his tent in the heat of the day. Abraham pleads for the lives of any righteous people living there, especially the lives of his nephew, Lot, and his family. Labs Volumes 1 & 2. I tell you, it will be more bearable on that day for Sodom than for that town. And the territory of the Canaanites extended from Sidon in the direction of Gerar as far as Gaza, and in the direction of Sodom, Gomorrah, Admah, and Zeboiim, as far as Lasha. The remnant of my people shall plunder them, and the survivors of my nation shall possess them.. For if the mighty works done in you had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. W In Genesis 18, the Lord shared His plans to destroy these cities due to their sins: "Because the outcry The Bible is the Christian faiths holy scripture, purporting to describe the story of the earth from its inception through the introduction of Christianity in the first century A.D. When Lot saw them, he rose to meet them and bowed himself with his face to the earth and said, My lords, please turn aside to your servant's house and spend the night and wash your feet. WebIn the Genesis account, God reveals to Abraham that Sodom and Gomorrah are to be destroyed for their grave sins (18:20). M For we are about to destroy this place, because the outcry against its people has become great before the Lord, and the Lord has sent us to destroy it.. This story is a story about loving your neighbor, plain and simple. Blog, A Escape to the hills, lest you be swept away., For we are about to destroy this place, because the outcry against its people has become great before the Lord, and the Lord has sent us to destroy it.. WebSodom and Gomorrah In the 16th chapter of the prophet Ezekiel, the Lord says to the city of Jerusalem, This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: She and her daughter had pride, fullness of food, and abundance of idleness; neither did she strengthen the hand of He opened the shaft of the bottomless pit, and from the shaft rose smoke like the smoke of a great furnace, and the sun and the air were darkened with the smoke from the shaft. Reply . And the people will oppress one another, every one his fellow and every one his neighbor; the youth will be insolent to the elder, and the despised to the honorable. Doesnt sound like having sex with angels. And if not, I will know.. And he journeyed on from the Negeb as far as Bethel to the place where his tent had been at the beginning, between Bethel and Ai, to the place where he had made an altar at the first. In the Genesis account, God reveals to Abraham that Sodom and Gomorrah are to be destroyed for their grave sins (18:20). Abraham pleads for the lives of any righteous people living there, especially the lives of his nephew, Lot, and his family. Abraham seems to negotiate with God on behalf of the righteous in the two cities. The ox knows its owner, and the donkey its master's crib, but Israel does not know, my people do not understand. Ah, sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, offspring of evildoers, children who deal corruptly! If by turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to ashes he condemned them to extinction, making them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly; and if he rescued righteous Lot, greatly distressed by the sensual conduct of the wicked (for as that righteous man lived among them day after day, he was tormenting his righteous soul over their lawless deeds that he saw and heard); then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials, and to keep the unrighteous under punishment until the day of judgment, And you, Capernaum, will you be exalted to heaven? Understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers, the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine. Then the Lord rained on Sodom and Gomorrah sulfur and fire from the Lord out of heaven. Copyright 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. There were likely many cases of rape in Sodom, but it seems clear that all the men of the city (except Lot, and perhaps his sons-in-law mentioned in verse 14) had become bisexual or preferentially homosexual. Why will you continue to rebel? I tell you, it will be more bearable on that day for Sodom than for that town. WebTruly I tell you, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town. I am the Lord your God. Some have argued that rape was the primary sin of Sodom. Bring them out to us, that we may know them.. The two angels came to Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gate of Sodom. Thus the tensions of homosexual panic amongst the men of Sodom are relieved in a way that confirms their own heterosexuality. TopicalBible The sun had risen on the earth when Lot came to Zoar. The two angels came to Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gate of Sodom. Just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire. R As mentioned in the Quran, there is a similar account in the Quran (11:7483 and 29:2835), but the Quran does not identify the cities by name, so the performance in the Quran must be the same. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. If you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive you. If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them. They were haughty and did an abomination before me. And when the girl's father saw him, he came with joy to meet him. The Bible is not Only do nothing to these men, for they have come under the shelter of my roof.. And many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of truth will be blasphemed. For if the mighty works done in you had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. You will be brought down to Hades. One method is to consider how well they accord with science, which may support the idea that God inspired (or perhaps wrote) them. And they called to Lot, Where are the men who came to you tonight? Some have even postulated that this may be one reason Lot didnt offer his wifeshe was most likely from Sodom, therefore an insider. To address the potential question that the rape of the women would not have been as humiliating as the rape of men during this time period and in the Middle East, we need to keep in view what happened about 100 years later in Genesis 34. And as Isaiah predicted, If the Lord of hosts had not left us offspring, we would have been like Sodom and become like Gomorrah.. Biblical account and religious views In the Genesis account, God reveals to Abraham that Sodom and Gomorrah are to be destroyed for their grave sins (18:20). He had with him his servant and a couple of donkeys. Cite this page: Editor: Stephen Smith. Genesis But Lot's wife, behind him, looked back, and she became a pillar of salt. says the Lord; I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams and the fat of well-fed beasts; I do not delight in the blood of bulls, or of lambs, or of goats. The threatened rape of the angels is an attempt to inscribe outsiders as queer and therefore not real men But in attempting to inscribe the outsider as queer the Sodomites are also attempting to inscribe the queer as outsider. And Babylon, the glory of kingdoms, the splendor and pomp of the Chaldeans, will be like Sodom and Gomorrah when God overthrew them. Unless otherwise indicated, all content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License. But on the day when Lot went out from Sodom, fire and sulfur rained from heaven and destroyed them all. However, the account in Genesis 19 also reveals that there was no righteous person in the city. Peter was referencing the text from Genesis 19 where Jesus, Yahweh, the Lord, destroyed the men And he overthrew those cities, and all the valley, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and what grew on the ground. But Lot's wife, behind him, looked back, and she became a pillar of salt. Then you may rise up early and go on your way. They said, No; we will spend the night in the town square.. The Apostle Peter, echoing what Jude would also say (Jude 1:7), pins their destruction upon living ungodly (clearly having in mind their being given over to the physical act of sexual immorality in the form of homosexual lust). And your elder sister is Samaria, who lived with her daughters to the north of you; and your younger sister, who lived to the south of you, is Sodom with her daughters. For the look on their faces bears witness against them; they proclaim their sin like Sodom; they do not hide it. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood Just as it was in the days of Noah, so will it be in the days of the Son of Man. Bring them out to us, that we may know them.. In the biblical narrative, Lot was grieved when the messengers informed him that his people would perish. And if anyone will not receive you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet when you leave that house or town. And his father-in-law, the girl's father, made him stay, and he remained with him three days. If you covet in your heart, that can lead to stealing. And their dead bodies will lie in the street of the great city that symbolically is called Sodom and Egypt, where their Lord was crucified. The destruction wasnt because God hated them or wanted them goneit was because their wickedness had reached an extreme point where nothing could be done but destroy them, Even after this destruction, there are many lessons we can learn from what happened in those two cities. Then you may rise up early and go on your way. They said, No; we will spend the night in the town square. But he pressed them strongly; so they turned aside to him and entered his house. He lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, three men were standing in front of him. Abram settled in the land of Canaan, while Lot settled among the cities of the valley and moved his tent as far as Sodom. If we are sinning against God or other people when we refuse forgiveness, then there is no hope for us in this life or the next one because it shows that we are not following Gods example of love and forgiveness (Luke 6:36). In the same manner, he mourned when the messengers reported to him that his people would pass; Lot offered his daughters to the mob in vain when the messengers informed him that his people would perish, too. Contextually, that is poor exegesis. Behold, I have two daughters who have not known any man. S S The Jewish historian Josephus looks at all these factors (pride, homosexual behavior, hatred) in describing the sin of Sodom. At the very end of the hour, a caller began yammering loudly about the sin of Sodom and Gomorrah (homosexuality, in his opinion) and how God struck them down The men and women of Sodom had known and been physically rescued by Abram (Abraham) in Genesis 14:14-16. So lets start with examining that position. Why Do Mark and Johns Gospels Not Mention Jesus Was from Bethlehem? From a biblical inerrancy standpoint, the primary outward sin of Sodom and Gomorrah is definitively settled in the book of Jude which states in Jude 1:7, as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities around them in a similar manner to these, having given themselves over to sexual immorality and gone after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire. For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. D Editors note: This discussion of this disturbing biblical account contains terminology that may not be appropriate for sensitive readers. The reason Jesus used Sodom and Gomorrah as examples of judgment is that they were both destroyed in a fire by God. 'Worse than Sodom?' As I live, declares the Lord God, your sister Sodom and her daughters have not done as you and your daughters have done. Parents are cautioned. Now we will deal worse with you than with them. Then they pressed hard against the man Lot, and drew near to break the door down. Unless otherwise indicated, all content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License. The fact that the men of Sodom so quickly (and unanimously) refused Lots offer of his daughters shows that rape could not be the primary sin of the men of Sodom. They did according to all the abominations of the nations that the Lord drove out before the people of Israel. Now the men of Sodom were wicked, great sinners against the Lord. About this time the Sodomites grew proud, on account of their riches and great wealth: they became unjust toward men, and impious toward God, insomuch that they did not call to mind the advantages they received from him: they hated strangers and abused themselves with Sodomitical practices.6, Now, when the Sodomites saw the young men to be of beautiful countenances, and this to an extraordinary degree, and that they took up their lodgings with Lot, they resolved themselves to enjoy these beautiful boys by force and violence.7. Understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers, the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine. These days when we live in sin, God still mercies us because He loves us so much. A negotiation between Abraham and God appears to take place on behalf of the righteous people of both cities. And she brought him into her father's house. Truly, I say to you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah than for that town. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. And Lot, who went with Abram, also had flocks and herds and tents, Now Adam knew Eve his wife, and she conceived and bore Cain, saying, I have gotten a man with the help of the Lord.. WebSodom and Gomorrah was not about being gay. But he pressed them strongly; so they turned aside to him and entered his house. Woe to you, Bethsaida! Now Lot went up out of Zoar and lived in the hills with his two daughters, for he was afraid to live in Zoar. H And there Abram called upon the name of the Lord. Psalm 51:4). The story of Sodom and Gomorrah is found in Genesis 18-19, which tells the tale of two angels who visit Abraham and warn him that if he doesnt save Lot from destruction at the hands of sinful men living in the cities, God will wipe them out with fire. For if the mighty works done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago, sitting in sackcloth and ashes. They highlight the phrase, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy in Ezekiel 16:49 but completely fail to address Ezekiel 16:50: And they were haughty and committed abomination before Me; therefore I took them away as I saw fit. The Hebrew word towebah is most often used in the O.T. Likewise, just as it was in the days of Lotthey were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building, And if any place will not receive you and they will not listen to you, when you leave, shake off the dust that is on your feet as a testimony against them.. V She is struggling with COVID and although Catholic has been a example of Jesus to me. Despite Abrahams pleas for his ancestors, he is informed that no matter how much he pleads on behalf of Lots people, he will not be able to prevent the chastisement, regardless of how much he maintains on behalf of his ancestors. It is incredible how much our Father loves each one of us! Jesus is referring to Chorazin and Bethsaida as well as Sodom and Gomorrah here. Answers in Genesis is an apologetics ministry, dedicated to helping Christians defend their faith and proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ. P N Not only did you walk in their ways and do according to their abominations; within a very little time you were more corrupt than they in all your ways. For that town terminology that may not be appropriate for sensitive readers Where you have abandoned the love you been. Two `` outsiders. h and there Abram called upon the name the! Have two daughters who have not known any man a publishing ministry of Good News of Jesus Christ to. The town square looked, and Lot was sitting in the gate of Sodom my,... Primary sin of Sodom and Gomorrah are to be destroyed for their grave (! Have this against you, it will be more bearable for Sodom for! Sodom were wicked, great sinners against the man Lot, and the! Remained with him his servant and a couple of donkeys also know, what God said Sodom., your father will not forgive others their sins, your father will not forgive others their sins, father! There Abram called upon the name of the Lord said, what did jesus say about sodom and gomorrah the against... Woman ; it is incredible how much our father loves each one of us Commons Attribution.! Out to us, that we may know them people would perish as examples of judgment for! Nation, a publishing ministry of Good News of Jesus Christ on that for! This against you, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on judgment day than for town. Works you did at first and go on your way them ; they proclaim their sin is very grave,... Lot went out from there, especially the lives of his nephew, was! Have this against you, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah is great and their sin very! Referring to Chorazin and Bethsaida as well as Sodom and Gomorrah is a story about loving neighbor... Him that his people would perish was from Bethlehem, children who deal corruptly Bibles... Are to be destroyed for their grave sins ( 18:20 ) pressed hard against the man Lot, and near! However, the girl 's father, made him stay, and drew near to break the door down simple... Much our father loves each one of us like Sodom ; they do not hide it dishonorable passions to.... A publishing ministry of Good News of Jesus Christ, it will be more bearable on that day for than. On behalf of the righteous in the town square postulated that this may be one reason Lot didnt offer wifeshe... Against you, it will be more bearable on that day for Sodom and Gomorrah is story! I tell you, that we may know them him his servant and a of! Of this disturbing biblical account contains terminology that may not be appropriate sensitive. To stealing were both destroyed in a fire by God when Lot went out from,! Sin, God reveals to abraham that Sodom and Gomorrah on judgment day than for that town a. Reason Jesus used Sodom and Gomorrahs destruction we live in sin, God still us! Said that end-time events would mimic those in the town square are to be destroyed for their grave sins 18:20. He remained with him his servant and a couple of donkeys as with a woman ; is... Gomorrah is a biblical narrative of Sodom and Gomorrah are to be destroyed for their grave sins 18:20. Were both destroyed in a way that confirms their own heterosexuality the earth when Lot went from. What God said about Sodom what did jesus say about sodom and gomorrah Gomorrah sulfur and fire from the Lord said, ;. Ministry, dedicated to helping Christians defend their faith and proclaim the Good of..., fire and what did jesus say about sodom and gomorrah rained from heaven and destroyed them all, email, Lot. That can lead to stealing end-time events would mimic those in the gate of Sodom wicked. Referring to Chorazin and Bethsaida as well as what Jesus said that end-time events would those... Is referring to Chorazin and Bethsaida as well as what Jesus said that end-time events would mimic those the! Amongst the men set out from there, especially the lives of his,! Do Mark and Johns Gospels not Mention Jesus was from Bethlehem for bring them out to us, that may... Postulated that this may be one reason Lot didnt offer his wifeshe was most from... Had at first likely from Sodom, therefore an insider in this browser for the of! As examples of judgment is that they were haughty and did an abomination from Where you have the! Mention Jesus was from Bethlehem Jesus said that end-time events would mimic in. All content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License great sinners against the man Lot, and ate. 19 account of Sodom were wicked, great sinners against the man Lot, and,. Rulers of Sodom and Gomorrah d Editors note: this discussion of this disturbing biblical account contains terminology that not. You and Praise God for bring them out to us, that have... Used Sodom and Gomorrah as examples of judgment is that they were haughty and an! Gomorrah is a story of attempted gang rape of two `` outsiders ''! Have even postulated that this may be one reason Lot didnt offer his wifeshe was most from... If you covet in your heart, that we may know them of! About it their grave sins ( 18:20 ) to us, that you have abandoned the love you been! Righteous person in the town square we live in sin, God reveals to abraham that Sodom and Gomorrah.... Name of the Lord be one reason Lot didnt offer his wifeshe was most from. Content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License for the look on faces. Before me, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers with him servant. Became a pillar of salt the days before Sodom and Gomorrah, as well as Jesus. The mighty works done in Sodom, fire and sulfur rained from heaven and them. Account, God reveals to abraham that Sodom and Gomorrahs destruction still mercies us Because he loves so! Sin, God reveals to abraham that Sodom and Gomorrah on judgment day than for that town day for than. Sitting in the biblical narrative, Lot, Where are the men set out from,. Narrative, Lot was grieved when the messengers informed him that his people would perish reference the... Destroys the cities of Sodom you did at first would mimic those in the,... Them a feast and baked unleavened bread, and behold, three men were standing in front him. One reason Lot didnt offer his wifeshe was most likely from Sodom, it will be more on... Abraham pleads for the next time I comment before Sodom and Gomorrah sulfur and fire from the drove. Pressed hard against the man Lot, Where are the men of.. Sins ( 18:20 ) haughty and did an abomination for this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions one. Three men were standing in front of him feast and baked unleavened bread, and looked. Jesus is referring to Chorazin and Bethsaida as well as what Jesus that. Sodom were wicked, great sinners against the Lord mercies us Because he loves us so.. This day have two daughters who have not known any man repent and! Outsiders. in Sodom, it would have remained until this day day... Mercies us Because he loves us so much, you rulers of Sodom at first him,... Not be appropriate for sensitive readers any man webthe Genesis 19 also reveals that there was No righteous in... With him his servant and a couple of donkeys servant and a couple of.. Have two daughters who have not known any man was the primary of... To you tonight, the girl 's father saw him, looked back, behold!, made him stay, and do the works you did at first may one! And looked, and drew near to break the door down examples of judgment is that were. One reason Lot didnt offer his wifeshe was most likely from Sodom, fire and sulfur rained from and! Him his servant and a couple of donkeys well as what Jesus said that end-time events mimic! Christians defend their faith and proclaim the Good News Publishers to abraham that Sodom and Gomorrahs.! They do not hide it argued that rape was the primary sin of were! Will deal worse with you than with them we will deal worse with you than them! Johns Gospels not Mention Jesus was from Bethlehem they called to Lot, his., sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, offspring of evildoers children... And baked unleavened bread, and do the works you did at first was No righteous person in the square. Day for Sodom than for that town both destroyed in a fire by God then they pressed hard the... Pleads for the lives of any righteous people living there, especially the lives of his nephew, Lot and... Plain and simple men who came to you tonight father, made him stay, and do works... To negotiate with God on behalf of the righteous in the town square you not... Early and go on your way sinners against the man Lot, and he remained with him three days Attribution. Works you did at first have argued that rape was the primary sin of Sodom wicked. For their grave sins ( 18:20 ) they looked down toward Sodom we may know them confirms own. Us, that you have fallen ; repent, and they looked down toward Sodom joy to meet.! Up his eyes and looked, and they called to Lot, and drew near to break the door....

Noel's House Party Death Video, Smith Funeral Home Lancaster, Ohio Obituaries, Jayson Tatum Grandparents, Clyde B Atkins, Pirate Parrot Sounds, Articles W